Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Brokerage?

A brokerage is an agency (and often a nonprofit organization) contracted by the State of Oregon to deliver case management services (or "brokerage support services") to adults with an eligible intellectual and/or developmental disability who live in their own home or family home.

Learn more about eligibility, the different brokerages in Oregon, and the process of entering into brokerage services.


What are Brokerage Support Services?

Brokerage support services are case management services delivered by a personal agent (PA) through a brokerage agency, such as Community Pathways. These services are available to adults with an eligible intellectual and/pr developmental disability who live in their own home or family home.

See a list of services available to eligible customers of brokerage support services.


Am I Eligible for Brokerage Services?

Eligibility for brokerage services is based on your eligibility for developmental disability services, which is determined by the office of Oregon Developmental Disabilities Services (ODDS) and your local community developmental disabilities program (CDDP) through the county.

  • Oregon resident

  • 18 years of age or older

  • Have a documented developmental or intellectual disability

  • Live on your own or in your family home in the community

Learn about eligibility for brokerage support services.


What is a personal agent? What is their role?

A personal agent (PA) is an employee of a support services brokerage who acts as a service coordinator and case manager. Their primary role is to get to know the individuals on their caseloads and assist them with accessing, planning, and monitoring support services. A PA may help provide guidance and advocacy to individuals by attending various meetings (such as IEP, VR, and SSA meetings) with them. Important note: A PA is neither a direct support provider nor the employer of an individual's support providers. Learn more about the role of a personal agent.


What is a Service Provider?

A service provider is any agency or individual paid by Medicaid dollars to provide Title XIX services to individuals experiencing developmental disabilities.


What Types of Providers Are there?

There are three types of direct support providers:

  1. Independent providers are individuals qualified to be personal support workers (PSW) and independent contractors (IC).

  2. Certified provider organizations are agencies licensed by the State of Oregon to provide a wide variety of supports and services based on their license.

  3. General business providers are businesses that provide service to the general public.

Learn more about the types of providers customers of brokerage services can enroll.


How do I find a Provider to support me?

Ask to talk with your personal agent (PA) to learn more about the process of finding and enrolling certified agency providers and personal support workers. Or, call our provider specialist at 503-935-5243 ext. 245. Search for personal support workers on the Oregon Home Care Commission's PSW Registry and Referral System.


What is the process for Enrolling a PSW?

Contact your PA for assistance in enrolling providers. It is part of a PA's role to help the individuals they serve with the process of finding, interviewing, and enrolling providers.

The process of enrolling providers involves a number of steps and depends on if the individual wants to hire an agency or a personal support worker (PSW). Learn more about the process of enrolling providers.


How do i find housing?

There are different ways to approach finding housing options that are most appropriate to meet individual needs and goals. We recommend you contact your PA to discuss your goals and start the planning process together.

A good place to start independent research is the Oregon home page on the U.S. Housing and Urban Development's website. Visit


How do I find employment?

There are different ways to approach the process of finding employment. We recommend you contact your PA to discuss your goals and start the planning process together.

A good place to start independent research is the Oregon Department of Human Services’ Employment Services webpage.Visit

Read more about the Employment First initiative in Oregon.


How does employment affect my benefits?

While having a job can affect your social security benefits, please keep in mind that having a job can also help you earn more money and better benefits than if you do not have a job. For more information about employment and benefits planning, click on the links below:

Disability Rights Oregon's Plan for Work

Department of Human Services' Benefits and Work Incentives Counseling


How can I learn more about Self-advocacy?

The following organizations are involved in self-advocacy throughout the State of Oregon, including the Portland Metro area. For information about upcoming events, follow us on Facebook.

Oregon Council on Developmental Disabilities

Oregon Self Advocacy Coalition

Oregon Developmental Disability Coalition


What does Self-Determination Mean?

Self-determination is the philosophy and process by which individuals make their own choices about how they want to live their life. At Community Pathways we believe individuals have the freedom to choose and direct the services that impact their lives. This belief guides our mission to assist individuals to live empowered, self-determined lives in the community. Learn more about self-determination.